Monday, March 26, 2007

Stepping Up - The Beauty Of Ignorance

Andy wrote a great post about successful role-players who want to step up to honcho level.
Basically, Andy pointed out that people who are successful salespeople or developers may not also make great managers - and they may be better off sticking with their proven skill-sets.
I spotted this one along time ago (from birth?) that's why my plan has always been to avoid cultivating any actual, useful skill. This way, my competitive advantage is to be in charge, of course.
For those of you who missed out on Econ. 11 - the principle of competitive advantage has some subtleties - I take advantage of one such subtlety here: Even if you are better than me at both telesales, and being in charge, maximum efficiency is achieved when I am in charge, and you are doing telesales, because I am no good at telesales.
This reminds me of one of my favorite punchline-less jokes about barflies: "You never want to be BEST at darts." I think, this is because if you are, you don't have anything better to do.
I am (kind of) joking around - I wrote Andy a comment on his post to this effect a couple of days ago and he either hasn't gotten around to approving it - or he just felt it wasn't constructive enough to allow :)

No comments: